Welcome to the Lylat Wiki, all about the Star Fox series! If you'd like to help out, please take a look at our community portal.
- "Do a barrel roll!"
- — Peppy Hare, Star Fox 64
A barrel roll is an aerial maneuver where a starfighter spins to deflect fiery or basic laser attacks from a Smart Bomb or Predator Rocket. This technique is featured in every Star Fox game.
In Star Fox 64 and Star Fox: Assault, barrel rolls make the player turn or move faster if it is in the same direction as the ship's movement. This is the only way to avoid one of Andross's attacks in both games. It cannot deflect rainbow beams from the Gorgon.
In Star Fox Command, the player can activate a barrel roll by drawing a circle on the Touch Screen. making a circular movement on the touch screen. The move continues up up the Boost Gauge runs out. The player can cancel it early by tapping the Touch Screen again.
The Arwing cannot perform a barrel roll and instead utilizes the related aileron roll technique. The only exception is in Star Fox: Assault, where the Arwing's G-Diffuser creates a gravitational field allowing it to collect items easily.
- Star Fox - pressing L or R twice
- Star Fox 64 - pressing Z or R twice
- Star Fox Adventures - pressing L or R once
- Star Fox: Assault - pressing L, then using the Control Stick to adjust the direction
- Star Fox Command - rapidly sliding the stylus side-to-side on the bottom screen
Usage in popular culture
Peppy's "Do a barrel roll!" phrase became popular enough to become an internet meme. It is referenced in Star Fox Zero, where in an optional mission, the player plays as Peppy. Every time a barrel roll is done during the mission, he will shout, "Barrel roll!".
- Google has stored an Easter egg in its search engine, in which if someone types "Do a barrel roll" or "Z or R twice" in to the search terms, the whole page will rotate 360 degrees clockwise.
- The popular game by Valve Software, Left 4 Dead 2, has an achievement that can be unlocked called 'Barrel Rolled', which is unlocked by killing a Special Infected with an exploding barrel.
- On the Xbox One version of Grand Theft Auto V, when the player's car rolls and the ability to record game clips automatically is active, there's a chance of receiving a game clip titled "Do A Barrel Roll".
- In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Pit shouts "DO A BARREL ROLL!" at the end of Fox's Palutena's Guidance conversation.
A barrel roll in Star Fox.
A barrel roll in Star Fox 64.
A barrel roll in Star Fox Adventures.