- "General Scales! Ruler, tyrant, and dictator of Dinosaur Planet. What brings you to my world?"
- — General Scales, Star Fox Adventures
General Scales is the main villain of Star Fox Adventures and leader of the SharpClaw tribe. He is a power-hungry dinosaur who desires to overthrow Dinosaur Planet with his army of SharpClaws. He is voiced by John Silke, and like most characters, he has an English accent.
General Scales is significantly bigger and stronger than many other characters. His appearance is different from the average SharpClaw, which suggests the species have different classes. His eye color is a deep red because it is the vessel of a Krazoa Spirit. General Scales usually wears a tribal set of armor and a viking hat, but during his interrupted fight with Fox. He wears a belt, which allows him to teleport between locations.
General Scales always desired to elevate his tribe to ruling status like the EarthWalkers and the CloudRunners. Scales was denied this position due to his greed, and he attempted several times to take control of Sauria, but failed every time.
General Scales was eventually empowered by an unknown entity, and used the SpellStones from the Force Point Temples. This caused Sauria to break apart in four pieces. He enslaved the SnowHorn tribe on DarkIce Mines, revived the RedEye tribe in Walled City, began to produce dinosaur mutants on Dragon Rock, and conquered the CloudRunner Fortress.
Scales first appears at the start on his personal airship, the SharpClaw Galleon. His airship was greatly damaged and lit on fire by Krystal, with assistance from a CloudRunner. General Scales survives and walks through the fire, threatening Krystal, and throws her off the ship. Krystal was shown to have been rescued by the CloudRunner.
While Fox made his way through the CloudRunner Fortress, General Scales grabs the Queen CloudRunner and asks her where Fox is. Fox arrives shortly afterward, but was imprisoned by Scales, who also stole Krystal's Staff. General Scales enters the room with the SpellStone, but it was intercepted by Fox just before he could obtain it. General Scales then teleports out of the area.
Fox's final confrontation with General Scales occurs at the Krazoa Palace. Just as Fox draws out his Staff, a mysterious voice immediately interrupts the fight. The character (later revealed to be Andross) reveals that Scales was just a pawn for him to regain power, and forces him to relinquish the final Krazoa Spirit to Fox. General Scales was then zapped to death.
After defeating Andross, the SharpClaw grunts are seen happily celebrating, with a few holding his belt up. This suggests that they were unsatisfied from his leadership.
General Scales has a considerable amount of physical strength, as he can pick up other characters with ease, such as Krystal and the Queen CloudRunner. He can use his body as a container for Krazoa Spirits, even though it is said that they are only obtainable by the pure of heart.
Scales has a belt with a hidden button that makes him invisible. He is immune to fire, as he walked through the flames on the SharpClaw Galleon without injury. General Scales possibly shares traits with a lizard, as just before the "final battle", he almost landed on Fox after falling down from the ceiling. General Scales' weaponry includes a large, double-bladed hook attached to his left arm and wields a large, golden sword in his right hand.
Aside from having a lust for power, General Scales acts hostile to others, including his own troops. General Scales once used a SharpClaw as a shield when Fox blasted at him, and then threw the SharpClaw back at him. In another instance, the Queen CloudRunner refused to tell him where Fox is, so General Scales angrily hit two of his SharpClaw solders and destroyed one of his security robots. Right before Scales releases his Krazoa Spirit, his SharpClaw guards cowered in fear, which suggests their fear of Scales lashing out at them. As shown with the SnowHorn Tribe, Scales appears to enslave other tribes to work under his brutal regime.
In his first confrontation with Krystal, he claims to not be evil and that he acts for the benefit of Dinosaur Planet. He quickly abandons this statement and throws Krystal off the SharpClaw Galleon. Like a stereotypical dictator, General Scales blatantly displays his arrogance, which is exemplified from his quote, "Nobody can defeat General Scales!".
Early artwork from Dinosaur Planet.
Names in other languages
- When Fox takes the Test of Fear to obtain the fifth Krazoa Spirit, the final fear he faces is an invisible, enlarged version of General Scales.
- The relationship between General Scales and Andross in Star Fox Adventures is often compared to the relationship between Zant and Ganondorf in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. This is because both Zant and Scales make their premiere in their respective games and are pawns of Ganondorf and Andross who use them to regain their physical bodies.
- The scene where Scales threatens Queen CloudRunner was a homage to the opening scene of Star Wars IV: A New Hope.
- A boss fight against General Scales was planned, but was ultimately cut due to time constraints. Fox would have also been assisted by Falco during the battle. He was the only primary antagonist of the cancelled Nintendo 64 title, Dinosaur Planet.
- Even though General Scales served under Andross, he seemed to be unaware of Andross's voice, who ordered him to relinquish the final Krazoa Spirit to Fox.
- In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, General Scales is mentioned in Tricky's trophy.
|This article is a character stub. You can help Lylat Wiki byit.|