Welcome to the Lylat Wiki, all about the Star Fox series! If you'd like to help out, please take a look at our community portal.
On your journeys across Lylat Wiki, you may come across protected pages, which are pages that either only autoconfirmed or adminstrators can edit, depending on which option is set. For more information on who protected the page and for what reason, please see the talk page of the protected page (accessed by clicking on the "Discussion" tab on the top of said page. Use the talk page to suggest inclusions to the page or even unlocking it to make changes.
Pages are usually protected as a notification for disputing factions in an edit war. Admins will be viewing the respective talk page to try and settle the disputes and unlock the page.
Pages that are eligible for permanent protection are Archives, Help content, site notices, select templates, etc. Generally, user pages should not be protected. Staff are not allowed to protect their own userpage for any reason other than rampant vandalism. If an admin does so, it will be unprotected and they will be warned. Insisting on protecting it may result in the loss of administrator rights.
- An unprotected page allows all users who have an account with Lylat Wiki to edit. To reduce spam and vandalism, Lylat Wiki does not allow anonymous page editing. The only basic requirement to account creation is Email Confirmation. Unprotected pages may also be Moved to another title by all members.
- Autoconfirmed Users Only protected pages exclude the newest members from editing a page. For example a new member will not be allowed to vote for Featured Articles or Featured Images.
- Administrators Only. The highest level of protection. This prevents anyone from editing or moving a page unless they have Administrator/Bureaucrat privileges enabled.
- Do not make the common mistake of protecting pages unnecessarily. For example, do not protect a page simply because it is the Main Page.
- Do not edit a temporarily protected page except to add a notice explaining the page is protected.
- Do not protect a page you are involved in an edit dispute over. Admin powers are not editor privileges - admins should only act as servants to the user community at large.
- Avoid favoring one version of the article over another, unless one version is vandalism.
- Temporarily protected pages should not be left protected for very long.
- Talk pages and user talk pages are not protected except in extreme circumstances.
- The protection of a page on any particular version is not meant to express support for that version and requests should therefore not be made that the protected version be reverted to a different one.